Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Destination LA, Part 1

Well, I've decided to share a little bit about my job search here on the blog. The experiences are fun (sometimes) and time-consuming (always). Maybe it'll give some of you an insight into the Entertainment world. Or someone can benefit from my experience. I might sound like those "I had cereal for breakfast" guys, but in any case, here it is.

As some of you know, I'm a producer in NY. I've worked mainly on documentaries, short videos, and made-for-the internet videos (no, it doesn't mean youtube. it's serious stuff, fellows). But I've always wanted to work in movies, so here I am, looking for the next opportunity, as an "Assistant to the producer". Yep, you always have to start as an assistant in this business, even when you have 3 years of experience behind you.

I'd love to find a job in New York, but there are so many opportunities in Los Angeles (or so they say), I have to check it out. I've never been there, so I'm planning a trip, July 22nd to 27th. To get a sense for the city. Meet some folks. Maybe land an interview... We'll see. I like walking, I like taking the subway, but then I also have a driver's license. So I gotta try, don't I?

For the first few post, I'll focus on that trip. I've spent the last 3 or 4 days on google maps, looking at the LA geography. Yep, it's a damn big city.

Today I've called some big studios. Disney, Warner Bros, Castle Rock, Amblin. It's funny how some people all over the world dream about those names, but it only takes a phone call and you can find yourself conversing with some guy (or girl) in an office over there.

Actually, I should say "being rejected". Try saying "Can I be transfered to the HR department?" and see it (hear it) happen. Those guys are well trained. "You can apply on our website". Riiiight. You can also put your resume in a bottle and let it sail the Amazon. You'll have more chances to get a call back.

I also called an agent I know, see who he knows. Waiting for a call back.

My best find of the day is Pixar. I've been wanting for 10 days to post about Wall-E, their recent masterpiece, but it's so great I find myself incapable of approaching it here. Go see it, that's all I'm saying.

So I applied to a "Development Associate" position, on their website, and followed up with a call to see if someone would pick up the bottle. Well what do you know, I got to talk to the person in charge of recruiting for the position. Introduced myself, was told I'd be given a call back if they're interested in a few weeks. At least they got my name down.

So here's the thought of the day: the best companies treat their prospective employees best.
It's funny: when looking for a job in news, I only get through, and called back, from CNN. Not from Fox News, not from ABC, NBC, or CBS News. Only CNN.
In movies, from Pixar. So yeah, there is a relation between doing good work and being good people. What do you know?!

I'll try to post regularly. If there's nothing, you'll know I spent the day naping in Central Park instead of working.

No comments: