Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Battle of the motherlands

I know, it's a lot of soccer for a blog dedicated to Pop Culture. But after all, the World Cup is the biggest event of them all. Is that not pop culture?
For info, the NBA Finals are watched by an average of 20 millions people. The Superbowl, 90 millions.
Wow, good job americans! Now listen to this.

The final of the World Cup will be watched by approximately 1.3 billions people. Thats 1300 millions. Almost 15 superbowls at the same time. And the total of the competition will be watched by 20 (non cumulative) billion viewers. Oh, you do the maths!

Anyway, right now, Germany is battling Poland. For me, it's like Dad against Mom, because yes, even though I'm a frenchie, I'm really germano-polish.

Another way to look at it, is, who to root for? The murderers or those who watched and didn't say a word?
Damned, I almost want to call this game "The Anschluss, the return". We could make t-shirts and stuff, you know?
OK, back to work.

(Yes, I am kidding. I love Germans. If they're under 60. And have black hair. And green eyes. And have proof of their parents' whereabout during the war.)

No comments: